Monday, May 18, 2015

Rock Stars, Serious and Otherwise


New album out today by Brandon Flowers, front man for The Killers (once described by none other than Bono as 'the swankiest rock band on the planet').  While I don't exactly share Mr. Flowers' 80s nostalgia, I do appreciate his insistence on mining that otherwise plastic-y territory for the depth of spirit and feeling that must surely have been there, however synthesized and neon green it may have been.  Similarly, though I've no affinity for Las Vegas, Flowers' invocation of his home city's glitzy pathos feels fresh and serious.

Apropos of the video below, though, here's the thing I'm finding I really like more and more as I get older: I like it when serious people are light, and loose, on purpose. 

I suppose one might raise doubt as to whether rock stars get to count as serious people.  I don't know.  Serious enough for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment