Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Parenting, and Adjectives

Been thinking a lot about this topic recently, as some friends and readers know.  The topic of parenting, that is, not necessarily adjectives (though that subject is surely never far from a writer's mind either).  Interesting, then, that this article should turn up, reflecting many of my own instincts and preoccupations.  A crucial question might be: if at least part of what one resists about the idea of becoming a parent is the current culture of parenting, to what extent can one resist that culture in doing one's own parenting?  To the same, or a similar extent that one can resist other distasteful elements of prevailing culture?  Is over-parenting as easy and appropriate to reject as, you know, Facebook, hot yoga, beards?

I don't know.  I don't think the current culture of parenting is the only thing about the idea of becoming a parent that I resist, anyway.

But, at least the article's author, Joe Epstein, gets the award for greatest curmudgeonly adjective of all time: 'piss-elegant.'  Maybe I could stand to be a parent if I still got to use words like 'piss-elegant.'  I'll have to think about that...

No comments:

Post a Comment